FTC releases new data security guidance for businesses
The Federal Trade Commission announced a new initiative and released a corresponding guidance document which focuses on helping businesses to better protect consumers’ information.
The initiative, entitled “Start with Security”, aims to assist businesses improve their data security practices based on lessons learned from the more than 50 data security cases brought by the FTC in recent years.
The guidance, which can be found here, outlines 10 specific lessons that “touch on vulnerabilities that could affect your company, along with practical guidance on how to reduce the risks they pose.” The lessons are as follows:
- Start with security;
- Control access to data sensibly;
- Require secure passwords and authentication;
- Store sensitive personal information securely and protect it during transmission;
- Segment your network and monitor who’s trying to get in and out;
- Secure remote access to your network;
- Apply sound security practices when developing new products;
- Make sure your service providers implement reasonable security measures;
- Put procedures in place to keep your security current and address vulnerabilities that may arise; and
- Secure paper, physical media, and devices
In conjunction with the release of its guidance document, the FTC also launched www.ftc.gov/datasecurity, a “one-stop website that consolidates the Commission’s data security information for businesses.” Furthermore, the FTC will also be conducting a series of conferences across the country geared toward start-ups and developers that will “provide information on security by design, common security vulnerabilities, strategies for secure development, and vulnerability response.”
Source: FTC.gov, 6/30/2015
The service you provide at Truescreen has been the best I have ever seen in comparison to other vendors I have worked with in the past! You guys rock!
I am very impressed with your company’s customer service, and the Truescreen portal seems to be an intuitive, user-friendly design.
Our team loves working with Truescreen and the expedient, thorough service and results we get from you.
I appreciate all your hard work ensuring that individuals are cleared through our processes. Truescreen makes my job so much easier and less stressful.